January 2006


Amateur Radio Society of Dryden

 January 11th, 2006 Meeting Minutes

Dryden Fire Service Training Centre


Vice-President Bob, VA3GUN, brought the meeting to order.

In Attendance were:

  Bob, VA3GUN
  Leo, VE3ASS
  Neil, VE3VNM
  Dave, VE3LMU
  Dick, VA3DIK
  Arnie, VA3NOL
  Scott, VA3EXT
  Bryan, VA3BRY
  Jim, VE3JLN
  Gary, VE3MOR
  Bob, VE3YDN
  Warren, VE3FYN
  Rick, VA3RGA
  Jim, VE3JLN
  Roy, VE3BJD
  Jeff, VE3NAH
  Alf, VE3EFT
  Maurice. VE3MLF
  Kim, SWL


M.S. Neil, VE3VNM; Leo, VE3ASS, the minutes of the November 10, 2005 Meeting be adopted as read.


Old Business


Pumpkin PatrolThe club received a Christmas/Thank you card from the Dryden Police Services.  Scott, VA3EXT e-mailed George Samson (TCA Public Service/ARES Editor) a copy of the Dryden Observer article covering our participation in Pumpkin Patrol, however, it didnt make the news.  Rick, VA3RGA will follow-up.


Gary, VE3MOR, will participate as a Technical Director.


Arnie, VA3NOL, is getting information together concerning the Walleye Masters bar.


Bob, VE3YDN, reported that there was good participation at the Chamber of Commerce Christmas Parade.

Providing communications were:


                                            Arnie, VA3NOL                     Bryan, VA3BRY                   Scott, VA3EXT

                                            Alf, VE3EFY                          Neil, VE3VNM                      Bob, VA3UDP

                                            Brendan, VA3BJM                 Dick, VA3DIK                       Bob, VE3YDN

                                            Bob, VA3GUN                      Jessica, SWL


The Clubs Christmas party was a success with 50 members and families attending.  The Chinese Auction generated roughly $300 after expenses.


Bob, VA3GUN, advised those members who had taken Can-Warn Training to not sign up for the newsgroup.  He has been receiving approximately 10 emails per day (because of the way the program is set up).


President Bryan, VA3BRY, had advised that the club will continue with the Emergency Preparation Training, goals and Procedures that were started in 2005.


2006 membership fees are due.  Scott will send out a reminder email.  Dave will send letters at the end of the month to those who havent responded by then.



New Business


Clayton Schneider has asked the club to provide communications for the Dog Sled Races during the Eton Rugby Winter Festival, February 25th.  Because of the mild winter, he is planning to route the race course over land and keep the teams off rivers and lakes.



Technical Report


Bob, VA3UDP, has been busy and unable to work on the Echo-Link Repeater link interface, VA3DIS, (147.375+).  Members are encouraged to use the repeater for voice, as it provides good local coverage.


Atikokan, VE3RIB, (147.120+)--has experienced a drop in the range it covers.  Warren and Vic will be checking it this coming weekend (January 14-15).  Otherwise, its Autopatch and APRS is working well.  Warren is working on the tone access for Echo-Link.


Ignace, VA3IGN (147.180+)As Scott has been testing a remote base link from VE3DRY site, he has found that because the frequencies of VE3DRY and VA3IGN are close together, there has been desensing in the receivers.  Scott will try a notch filter to see if that will resolve the problem.


Sioux Narrows, VE3RSN (145.170-)Scott has done some audio work to reduce clipping on the high audio frequencies.  He will do some adjusting at VE3DRY, and if required, adjust VE3RSN again.

Woody, VE3JJA, has purchased a surplus UPS to install at VE3RSN for battery backup.  He may use a second surplus UPS at VE3LWR Kenora.


Kenora has delayed their equipment replacement project for VE3LWR until next year.  Equipment at VE3LWR is working well.


APRS Protocol is changing to reduce duplicate packets from the digipeaters.  Scott will be studying to find out what the changes involve.  He suggested we use Relay, Wide, 2-2 for our individual TNCs.





Jim, VE3JLN, advised that Industry Canada has renewed his Volunteer Examiner license for 2 years.  John, VE3OTI, is also qualified to oversee exams also.


Dave, VE3LMU, is planning to run a Basic course in September through to January.


The 50/50 Draw was won by Kim, SWL.


Rick, VA3RGA, moved the meeting adjourn.




Image of home2.gif