About This Form
Amateur Radio donates thousands of man hours of supplementary public service communications in civil emergencies, official drills and events such as parades and marathons each year. Such events show Amateur Radio in its best light, and it is critically important that ARRL bring documentation of this public service work to the attention of the Congress, the FCC and other public officials. Your information below is an important addition to the record. Please complete and return this form to the Public Service Branch at ARRL Headquarters. Thank you.
1. Nature of activity (Check one).
Alert. Amateurs were deployed for emergency communications, but emergency situation did not develop.
Special exercise. Amateurs supplied communications for a parade, race, etc.
2. Brief description of activity: ARES Net Communication/Information Exercise
3. Places or areas involved: Anchorage, Mananuska Valley, Kenai Peninsula, Alaska
4. Number of amateurs participating: 29
5. Event start date/time: 5 Nov 98/2005L 6. Event end date/time: 5 Nov 98/2050L
7. Duration of event (hours): .75 8. Total man-hours: 21.75
9. Number of repeaters used: 1
10. Estimated manpower cost: $217.50 (man-hours times $10/hr)
11. Estimated cost of equipment used: $15,950 (hand-helds, repeaters, etc.)
12. Total estimated cost of service: $16,167.50 (add amounts from lines 10 and 11)
13. Nets and/or frequencies used (including repeater call signs): Anchorage ARES Net, KL7ION Repeater, 147.300/147.900 MHz
14. Number of messages handled: Continuous Tactical Traffic
15. Names of agencies receiving communications support: N/A, ARES Exercise
16. Please list call signs of amateurs who were major participants: WL7CKB, KL7GLU, KL7HIU, KL0FZ, KL4E, KL0DW, KL0CY, KL5T, KL7IKX, KL7TS, NL7UP, NL7NN, NL7YK, NL7QZ, NL7KN, NL7SK, WL7BW, WL7BC, WL7CLX, WL7BD, WL7IN, KE6NEC, KB7YXG, AL7RE, KL7HHO, WL7HE, WL7CAD, WL7UQ
17. Other comments: All stations requested to review and report their closest cross-street, and three closest schools (as potential shelters).
Please attach photos of amateurs in action, newspaper clippings
or other data.
Name of Amateur Radio organization providing service: ARES
Location of organization: City or town: Anchorage State: AK
Your name: Michael R. Borer Call sign: WL7CKB
Address: P.O. Box 221545, Anchorage, AK 99522
ARRL appointment, if any: e-mail address: none, sent courtesy of KL5T, [email protected]
Telephone: (907) 349-8191
I attest that the information provided above is complete and true to the best of my knowledge.
Michael R. Borer 5 Nov 98