ALASKA VHF-UP GROUP
50-MHz to Microwave
This is the webpage for the Alaska VHF-Up Group; An informal Amateur Radio group promoting interest
in VHF and higher frequencies with emphasis on long-distance, weak-signal operations.
This group will also facilitate entering VHF, UHF and microwave contests in Alaska. The group is
an ARRL Afilliated Club and is casually affiliated with the Pacific NW VHF Society.
Meetings will be ocassionally arranged for the sole purpose of getting together hams with common
interests in VHF and higher techology. Membership is promoted for the purpose of providing a list
of Alaskan Hams sharing similar interests in VHF and "Up". Charter membership was offered to those
who joined by December 31, 2005. Regular membership began on January 1, 2006.
IF YOU ARE ACTIVE ON - OR JUST INTERESTED IN
VHF/UHF or HIGHER ACTIVITIES --- WHY NOT JOIN THE ALASKA VHF-UP GROUP?
Here is the excel form for signing up. If you cannot open excel forms go here for a reader.
Or you can e-mail KL7UW for more information.
If you are new to VHF "weak-signal" operation or only have FM experience, you should read my
article from the Anchorage Amateur Radio Club Newsletter, then read the introductory articles
posted on the Pacific NW VHF Society website, and another interesting article about getting on
VHF-SSB from Bob Witte, KØNR.
K7CW writes an convincing argument on using digital modes for VHF and Up.
Here is a very good article written about troposcatter propagation at VHF and above.
Business and BOD Actions:
Board of Directors June 2015-2017:
Ed Cole, KL7UW, Paul Kiesel, K7CW, and Dale Hershberger, KL7XJ.
AVG Officers Sept. 2015-2017:
- President - Ed Cole, KL7UW
- Vice President - Dale Hershberger, KL7XJ
- Secretary - Treasurer - Temp KL7UW
The annual meeting will be held concurrent with the Kenai Hamfest, and during the Annual PNWVHFS
Conference. This should provide a convenient time and reasonable accessibility for the majority
Members are encouraged to report their activities/projects for inclusion on this webpage for all to
read. The AVG webpage serves as the Newsletter of events and activities (see archives of previous
years activities at end of this page).
- Contest/Awards Chair - Paul Kiesel, K7CW
- Webmaster - Ed Cole, KL7UW
NEW Alaska VHF-UP E-mail Reflector:
Link to subscribe to AK-VHF reflector.
Note: Subscription is available to members-only of the AK VHF Up Group.
NEW Alaska VHF-UP Award:
Here is the new Awards page, and samples of the two certificates.
Follow this link for the Membership List.
- TUESDAY-NET: "Southcentral Simplex Net", 146.52 FM Simplex *, 2000-local time, KL7CY Net Control.
- SATURDAY-NET: "Alaska VHF-Up Net", 0900-local time, KL7UW Net Control, Schedule:
- 144.200 MHz SSB every Saturday except last weekend of the month
- 146.58 MHz** FM simplex on Last Saturday of the month
* Net progresses to 10m/6m/1.25m/70cm/33cm/23cm!
** Note the change in frequency from 146.52 to 146.58 for the AK-VHF Net; this is to avoid conflict with other users on "52".
VHF/UHF/Microwave Conference Schedule for 2016:
- Super VHF Conference (combined Eastern Societies), Dulles, VA, April 15-16.
- Society of Amateur Radio Astronomers Conferences:
Western Regional Conference,
Annual Conference, Greenbank,
- SETI-League Conference, jointly held with SARA at Greenbank, above
- Kenai Peninsula Hamfest, TBA.
- Central States VHF Society Conference, Rochester, MN, July 29-30.
- Pacific NW VHF Society, TBA.
- Microwave Update, St.Louis, MO, Oct. 14-15.
|Suggested operating frequencies
|| CW/SSB FREQ
|| ANT POLARITY
|| FM FREQ
|| ANT POLARITY
ARRL JANUARY VHF Contest: Jan 30-31, 2016:
The contest begins 10:00 am AKST Saturday and ends 7:00 pm Sunday. Operate all bands 50-MHz
and higher. For details go to: Contest page.
Here is a link to the EME Page for the dates.
VHF-Up DX Record:
Here is the preliminary DX Record spreadsheet.
Here is a link to the Archives for 2009
Here is a link to the Archives for 2010
Here is a link to the Archives for 2011
Archive was lost for 2012
Here is a link to the Archives for 2013
Here is a link to the Archives for 2014
Here is a link to the Archives for 2015