Information on amateur radio and commercial radio testing on the island of Oahu.
The VE/CE Testing Team headed by Tetsuo Tanaka provides periodic testing sessions for the amateur radio licenses. Contact Tetsuo to get the schedule and location of the next testing session.
Sessions are scheduled for the months of
- November (Saturday, November 19, 2011; Amateur radio registration ends Nov 17, 2011 9:00 pm. Commercial registration ends Oct 27, 2011.)
- January (Saturday, January 21, 2012; Amateur radio registration ends Jan 18, 2012 9:00 pm. Commercial registration ends Dec 29, 2011.)
- March (Saturday, March 17, 2012; Amateur radio registration ends March 15, 2012 9:00 pm. Commercial registration ends Feb 23, 2012.)
- May (Saturday, May 19, 2012; Amateur radio registration ends May 17, 2012 9:00 pm. Commercial registration ends Apr 26, 2012.)
- July (Saturday, July 21, 2012; Amateur radio registration ends July 18, 2012 9:00 pm. Commercial registration ends June 28, 2012.)
- September (Saturday, Sept 15, 2012; Amateur radio registration ends Sept 13, 2012 9:00 pm. Commercial registration ends Aug 23, 2011.)
- November (Saturday, Nov 17, 2012; Amateur radio registration ends Nov 15, 2012 9:00 pm. Commercial registration ends Oct 25, 2012.)
Sorry, no walk-ins please. To sign-up or confirm the date/time/place of the next exam session, contact Tetsuo Tanaka. To preregister, call during the hours of 9 am and 9 pm only so as to not disrupt the family.
- Tetsuo Tanaka, Chief VE/CE
- (808) 485-8426
The pre-registration deadline for amateur radio exams is 9 pm the Thursday evening prior to the third (3rd) Saturday of each scheduled month. No walk-in registration is permitted.
Items to bring to the test session
When attending a test session, please bring the following items.
- The testing fee for the amateur radio exam is $15 for each amateur radio element. Each Technican license, General license, Extra license exam is a separate $15 exam fee.
- Bring exact change. No checks or credit cards.
- Two IDs. The first ID is a picture ID. Bring two photocopies and the original. It can be your driver's license, company ID, or official passport.
- The second ID is one with a Social Security Number. It can be your Social Security Card, your paystub with an SSN.
- Two "Number 2" pencils, sharpened with eraser.
- A black ink pen (not blue or red ink), to sign your documents.
- Bring several sheets of scratch paper for making calculations. The sheets are to be turned into the FCC/VEC.
- Your amateur radio license, if you have one. Bring the original and two photocopies.
- Any valid CSCE (Certificate of Successful Completion), if you are using these to get credit for previous successful test sessions. Bring the original and two photocopies.
- Your FRN (FCC Registration Number), if you are an existing license holder. You can find it on your copy of the license (if its recent), or you can look it up at the FCC website.
- If you are bringing a calculator, it is best to bring a simple pocket calculator.
If you are applying for the Technician-to-General class administrative upgrade, please provide photocopy evidence of your technician license before March 21, 1987. For example, a copy from the 1986 callbook may suffice. The $15 fee also applies to this upgrade.
Note: The Technician class issued prior to March 21, 1987 was equivalent to then "new" General class written exam. On April 15, 2000, the morse code requirement for Extra class dropped from 20 words per minute to 5 WPM. New Novice and Advance class licenses were stopped after April 15, 2000. The morse code requirement was dropped on February 23, 2007 and is no longer offered.
The VE/CE Testing Team headed by Lee Wical provides periodic testing sessions for commercial FCC licenses. Contact Lee at (808) 247-0587 before 9:00 pm to get the schedule and location of the next testing session.
- Contact Lee Wical for separate FCC commercial radio examination sessions with commercial examiners.
- The commercial license exam fee is $35 for each commercial radio element. (Elements 1 through 4, 7 and 8).
- Coordinate your paid exam schedule with Karen at 1-(800)869-2783 using your credit card for pre-payment. She can also provide an examinee with study material for a small fee.
- Bring the same materials as the amateur radio exam.
- Registration deadline is three weeks prior to the exam session, due to the lead time to order the exam materials.
Copyright © 1997-2015 Ron Hashiro
Updated: June 8, 2012 DISCLAIMER: Ron Hashiro Web Site is not responsible for the content at
any of the external sites that we link to and therefore
are not necessarily endorsed by us.